Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mom vs. Dad, Part I

Kristin and I are a parental unit. We must go into all interactions with our baby boy as such, lest he open our defenses and reveal the soft gooey insides of the Paterson/Armour partnership. As he grows older, it is all the more important that Kristin and I stand united - raising our child with a common voice, a common standard, and a common love.

There are times, though, when the boy may bias towards one side or the other. Expecting the relationship, temperament, or physical traits to be one and the same from father to mother is unreasonable. We are two different people with different personalities.

This post is the first of several which will examine our little Bradley, and compare him to the traits of his mother and myself. Today I will investigate baby's looks.

Babies' facial features are said to appear at 6, 7, or 8 weeks after conception. These features, though, are not strong and defined until later in life. Right out of the womb, it is said that babies actually tend to look similar and can even get mistaken by their own parents at the hospital! Nevertheless, I would say that our boy has three distinct features:

• A dimple chin,
• A cute little button nose, and
• Bright blue eyes.



My knowledge of Mendelian genetics goes as far as my Grade 13 biology class with Mrs. Bradley, but I would say that I could attribute his chin to me (and my mother, and her dad, and his dad...). His adorable button nose definitely came from Mom. His eyes, though, are a toss up. I would have been sure that my dark, chocolatey brown eyes would have dominated over Kristin's green eyes. When the little guy came out, though, he had bluish-grey irises. Now his colour's changed such that if we call Mike Fisher's eyes arctic ice blue, we could call Bradley's eye colour deep ocean blue.

At birth, Caucasian babie's eye colour is, the majority of the time, blue. It then changes (as by the literature) at 6-12 months. We'll see what the future has in store.

What about you? Do you think Bradley looks more like me or Kristin? Are there any other distinguishable traits you see in our baby?

1 comment:

  1. Charleen and Jeremy BortotSeptember 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM

    Im voting that he looks a little more like Andrew only because you are both boys :) But its true, most babies look pretty similar for the first little while! I cant wait to see him at 6 months and see if one of you stands out more in him! Love Char and Jer :)

    ReplyDelete